August 5th, 2010 Minutes
President Graham called the meeting to order at 1904 hours. Meeting was held at Angelo Healthcare Services conference room. Eight members attended.
- The minutes of the June 2010 meeting were read and approved.
- There was no meeting in July 2010.
Treasurer's Report. (See Separate Document)
- Old Business:
- The ‘wall of honor' mural and other displays are on hold for renovation of building 521.
- The memorial display honoring Sgt. Peter Cressman (Cressman Dining Hall) is also delayed. Some historical material of the building dedication has been found. President Graham learned that Mr. Dull, Wing Historian, departed Goodfellow some two months ago and MSgt. Wilcox is temporarily filling the position. He is currently working on recognition of Women Airforce Service Pilots (WASP) who trained at Goodfellow and will coordinate with wing personnel on hanging of the Cressman display. In anticipation of the eventual completion of the display, Ed Bendinelli recommended we proceed with procuring Cressman's picture and medals.
- New Business:
- Coin Sales. Twenty-five coins were sold ($136.34) during July.
Terry Casey has built a web site called "Goodfellow AFB Then and Now." It is a compilation of historic and modern day photos from around the base. She requests that anyone who has items of interest to contact her. On active duty Terry was V202 and worked exclusively with the 207X2 non-Morse folks. She recently retired from a civilian position at Goodfellow. The web site is www.goodfellowafbthenandnow.com
- Café Italia has gone out of business. For the past three years the Heritage Chapter has held its annual Christmas dinner at this restaurant. Alas, there n'er will be a fourth. The date and location of this year's dinner will be determined later.
- Fallen Eagle – Charles M. 'Catfish' Miller Jr. died July 31, 2010 in San Angelo. He entered the U.S. Army Air Corps in 1947. He served in Guam, Japan, Washington D.C., and then with the U.S. Air Force Security Service in Germany from 1951 to 1953. His Security Service assignments included Germany, Massachusetts, Greece, and Texas. He retired from the Air Force at Goodfellow Air Force Base in 1967. After his Air Force retirement he taught business education subjects at Central High School for 20 years until his retirement in 1990. A copy of his obituary was sent to the FTVA in San Antonio. We extend our sincere sympathy to the Miller family.
Fallen Eagle – James Charles Van Kirk died August 13, 2010 in San Angelo, He served in USAFSS/ESC as a 202x0 from 1960 to 1980. Following his military retirement he was a TV advertising account executive. Interment was in Pioneer Memorial Park in Grape Creek, Texas. A copy of his obituary was sent to the FTVA in San Antonio. We extend our sincere sympathy to the Van Kirk family.
- Wounded Eagle – Ken Bransdorf is recovering at home from chemo treatments he received at Wilford Hall in San Antonio. He is on the mend but reports being tired as a result of the treatments. We all wish Ken good health and a full recovery.
We are saddened to learn that Mr. Robert Sebers, brother of Fred Sebers, for whom Sebers Hall (building 519) is dedicated, has an inoperable cancer. Robert and his family visited Goodfellow AFB in April 2010. Robert is a U. S. Navy veteran having served in the Pacific theater during World War II.
- We also received word that Mrs. Betty Wheeler, wife of J. C. Wheeler died August 11, 2010. J. C. is the originator and on-going president of the EC-47 Association. J. C. was a flight engineer and was in the original cadre at Nha Trang, Vietnam, serving there 1966–1967. On behalf of the Heritage Chapter, President Graham sent a sympathy card to J.C. and his family.
- The annual FTVA picnic, banquet and meeting are 23-25 September in San Antonio. General Michael V. Hayden, former Director of the NSA, is scheduled to be the guest speaker for the banquet on the 24th. During the membership meeting on the 25th Major General Heithold, Commander AFIRSA, will give a "State of the Agency" address. President Graham will also present "State of the Heritage Chapter". See www.ftva.org website for further information on the scheduled activities.
The USAFSS Roll Call group reunion and meeting will also be in San Antonio, 22-25 September. Major General Bradley Heithold, Commander AFISRA, will be their guest speaker. Contact Tommy Smart for reservations and further information.
- The Armed Forces Chili Cook-off will be held at the Goodfellow Recreation Camp at Lake Nasworthy on 25 September. The winner earns a spot to compete in the Terlingua (Texas) International Championship.
The Heritage Chapter annual Christmas Social will be held during early December. The date and location will be announced later.
- San Angelo will be the location for the annual ‘Fall of Saigon Party' during the last weekend of April 2011. Point of contact is Larry Miller.
A 6994th reunion will be held in Colorado Springs, Colorado, 4-7 August 2011. For further information visit www.6994th.org website.
- The EC-47 Association will hold its next reunion in Branson, Missouri during late September 2011. For further information visit www.ec47.com website
President Graham closed the meeting at 1958 hours. The next meeting will be, Thursday, 2 September 2010, 1800 hours, at Lin's Grand (Chinese) Buffet restaurant. This meet will be held in conjunction with our quarterly social.
President, Heritage Chapter
Secretary/Treasurer, Heritage Chapter