FREEDOM THROUGH VIGILANCE ASSOCIATION
P.O. Box 691616
San Antonio, Texas 78269-1616
1. FEBRUARY 19, 2010 BOARD OF DIRECTORS’ MEETING: President Lee Anthony called the meeting to order at 1330 hours in the SSFCU Board Room.
|Lee Anthony – President
||Ron Haygood – Vice President
|Bob Cope – Treasurer
||Loren "Phred" Sevening – Secretary
|Dennis "Rass" Rassmussen
|Wayne Amann -- AFISRA/PA
||TSgt Mark Richardson, Chief, AFISRA/Gen Larson Awards Program
2. MINUTES: The Minutes of the JAN 2010 meeting were read and approved with minor modifications.
3. TREASURER’S REPORT: Read and filed for audit.
4. OLD BUSINESS
- SPRING SOCIAL. Spring Social will be held 10 April 2010 at the Lackland Gateway Club. Current plan is for AFISRA Commander, Major General Heithold, to be the guest speaker but there is a strong chance he will be TDY. AFISRA Vice Commander, Brigadier General John Stauffer, is in the bullpen to step up as guest speaker if needed. On the outside chance he is also not available, AFISRA Director of Staff, Mr Ken Williams, is on stand-by and ready if needed. Because of current base security procedures, anyone planning to attend that does not have a current or retired military ID or Civil Service ID card must coordinate with Lackland Visitor Control at least five days in advance of the event or risk the possibility of not gaining access to the base. Details on the event and security procedures are on the FTVA website.
- POSTAL CHANGES. Bob Baert and Dennis "Rass" Rassmussen have done their due diligence research and recommend to the BOD that we use FedExOffice to handle all the mailing needs for the next newsletter. Motion made, seconded, and approved to use FedExOffice for the next newsletter on a trial basis and report back next meeting to assess and decide if we want to stay with that company.
- FTVA MEMBERSHIP CHAIRMAN. After much discussion the BOD came to the conclusion that Bob Baert never really did give up the responsibilities as Membership Chairman after all – although the attempt was made to separate that from his membership support responsibilities. Motion was made, seconded, and approved to reinstate title of Membership Chairman to Bob Baert and explore options for a Recruitment Chairman or Committee. Recruitment effort remains an ongoing discussion, responsibility, and challenge.
- SECURITY HILL PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATION Awareness Day. The event had a larger than expected number of booths from the various professional associations, but customer turnout was lower than expected. After much discussion, decision was made to continue efforts with this quarterly event as yet another means of attracting and recruiting new members. Motion was made, seconded, and approved to continue to have an FTVA booth at these events.
- Support to AFISRA Annual Awards Program. One of the primary reasons for our organization’s existence is to take care of our Agency Airmen and the annual awards programs is one of the most visible means for us to accomplish that goal. Motion was made, seconded, and approved to continue with our normal annual contribution amount, with the understanding that if more money is needed by the Agency for this program that we are ready to discuss and support to the best of our ability.
- ANNIVERSARY WEEK PREPARATIONS. Nothing new to report, everything is on track
- FTVA Hats (and coins?) Bob Crabtree has done the research on local hat vendors and he has coordinated with the dealer he recommends. Once that dealer has our design plan, a cost estimate can be provided. Because hats always seem to be an item of enduring demand, motion was made, seconded and approved to use the design of USAFSS symbol on the front of the hat, with the other four organizational symbols around the sides. Will wait for Bob Crabtree to return from his TDY to continue negotiations with the vendor. After brief discussion, motion was made, seconded, and approved to not pursue new coins at this time.
5. NEW BUSINESS. None.
- Request from TSgt Mark Richardson, Chief of the AFISRA Maj Gen Doyle E. Larson Awards for donation to the AFISRA Annual Awards program. Mark was there in person to plead his case
- Thank you note with lifetime member application, from AFISRA Command Chief Paul Weseloh expressing his sincere appreciation for all we do for the Agency’s Airmen.
7. AROUND THE ROOM.
- Loren "Phred" Sevening presented a current Team Lackland quarterly award winner trophy and coin to pass around the room to see how well they are doing it at that level.
- Dennis "Rass" Rassmussen opened discussion to clarify how we will honor the AOR returnees at the Spring Social. If we have new hats by then we will give them a hat, and if we have any coins left we will give them an FTVA coin. The real honorarium will be a $100 donation to the Intrepid Warriors in the name of the group of honorees. Tradition holds that the FTVA Vice President will MC the event, and Ron Haygood will have that honor this year.
- Wayne Amann, AFISRA/PA. This is the last year that the Agency will have our own ambassadors. Starting next year the San Antonio-wide ambassador program will be scaled back to having one male and one female ambassador from each service. The AFISRA Airmen who are interested in competing can do so through Team Lackland channels. Wayne also reiterated sincere appreciation for all FTVA does for the Agency.
- Mark Richardson, AFISRA Larson Awards Chief. Sincere thanks for all the support, the various programs could not exist if not for FTVA. Mark first became truly aware of the significance of FTVA upon taking over as Chief of the Larson Awards and other Agency recognition programs.
8. There being no further business, motion was made, seconded, and approved to adjourn at 1506. Next meeting will be March 19, 2010 in the SSFCU Board Room, starting at 1330.
LOREN R. "PHRED" SEVENING